Elon Contact: TBA, contact email@example.com at the present
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in more than 90 countries, as part of a global movement for change, to build a future free from the injustice of poverty.
Vision and Purpose
“Oxfam’s vision is a just world without poverty. We envision a world in which people can influence decisions which affect their lives, enjoy their rights, and assume their responsibilities as full citizens of a world in which all human beings are valued and treated equally.”
“The purpose of Oxfam is to help create lasting solutions to the injustice of poverty. We are part of a global movement for change, one that empowers people to create a future that is secure, just, and free from poverty.”
- Development – work with communities on long-term programs to eradicate poverty
- Emergencies – deliver life-saving assistance to people affected by natural disasters or conflict
- Campaigning – raise public awareness of the causes of poverty and encourage ordinary people to take action for a fairer world
- Advocacy – press decision-makers to change policies and practices that reinforced poverty and injustice
- Policy research – speak with authority as a result of research and analysis
1. When people have the power to claim their basic human rights, they can escape poverty – permanently. This core belief underpins our development programs in more than 90 countries. With our partners, allies and with local communities, we help people to claim rights for themselves.
2. Human development is driven by empowered women. But women and girls are still massively under represented and often oppressed. We work to help them speak out and demand justice, and to assert their leadership. The right to gender justice underpins all of our work.
3. When disaster strikes, we are there. We help people caught up in natural disasters and conflict. We typically provide clean water, food and sanitation in disaster zones. As far as we can, we strive to ensure that civilians are protected too. We also seek to reduce the risk to poor people of future disasters by continuing to work with them long after the immediate crisis is over.
4. Natural resources are vital for prosperity and poor people are often not getting their fair share. This situation is worsened by the impacts of climate change that the international community is failing to address properly. We lobby governments, international organizations and corporations for fairer land policies and action on climate change.
5. To stop people going hungry, we work to secure global food supplies so that people always have enough to eat. Already, almost a billion of us go to bed hungry every night. Not because there isn’t enough. But because of the deep injustice in the way the food system works. We can GROW in a better way – one that contributes much more to human wellbeing.
6. Being able to access basic services such as health and education is essential to people’s well-being and to human development. We push to secure adequate financial flows to sustain basic services for poor people.
Commitment to Human Rights
Oxfam believes everyone should have the right to:
- A livelihood
- Basic services
- Be safe from harm
- Be heard
- Be treated as equal
- Active citizenship
- Aid effectiveness
- Climate change
- Emergency response
- Gender justice
- HIV and AIDs
- Indigenous & minority rights
- Natural resources
- Peace & security
- Private sector
- Youth outreach